Do you ever think about how WhatsApp, Facebook & Instagram, etc. are making money? and also, you don’t have to pay any money to use these apps. So, their main source of income is “Data“. They’re collecting people’s data instead of money. Data collection & analysis are done by a data analyst.
This is among the high-paying tech jobs out there. So, if you also want to get into this field then, this ultimate guide is for you. We’ll be discussing all the important points and roadmaps to get started as a data analyst.
What is Data Analysis?
Data analysis is a set of techniques used to understand data. Data can be numerical or text-based, and data analysis helps us to understand the patterns within the data. It can help us to answer questions about our data, such as how much variation there is in it, what the central tendency is, and which variables are associated with one another. Data analysis can also help us to make predictions about future events.
It is the process of examining and interpreting data. This often takes place in various fields of science, business, government, news media, healthcare, marketing research, industrial applications, education, and historical research.
When data are collected in the context of a study or experiment that aims to test or support a hypothesis or investigate the phenomena under observation in some way, it is generally called “data analysis”.
The job role of a Data Analyst?
According to interviewbit, data analysts are getting paid about ₹342,363 to ₹1,750,000/Year. You might be thinking, what’s their job role so they’re getting such salaries. This is what we’re going to discuss in this section.
A data analyst is someone who is responsible for analyzing data in order to help a company make better business decisions. They may work with a team of people who gather and compile data, or they may work independently.
Their goal is to find trends and patterns in the data that can help the company improve its operations.
Some of the things a data analyst may do include:
- Investigating customer behavior
- Analyzing sales data
- Studying market trends
- Identifying potential areas for growth
- Determining what marketing strategies are most effective
- Predicting future sales volumes
- Benchmarking performance against industry competitors
The role of a data analyst is becoming increasingly important as more and more businesses rely on data to make key decisions.
Job opportunities for data analysts are expected to increase as the economy improves, and those with a strong background in mathematics, statistics, computer programming, and other relevant skills will have the best job prospects.
Free courses on Data Analyst
Now, you’ve seen what’s and the job role of the data analyst. So, we’ll tell you the best free courses to learn data analyst. Here are our honorable mentions:
- Introduction to Data analytics – Simplilearn
- Fundamentals Data Analysis & Decision Making Models – Udemy
Here are some of the free courses on data analyst. If you’re really serious and have decided to make a career here then we would suggest learning from some of the best-paid courses. Or you can learn these all for free as well.
Perks of being a data analyst
It’s flexible and competitive. Not to mention, you get to analyze fun stuff like the content your friend sends you on Facebook!
Another perk is that it can be viewed as creative. You get to play with numbers and use them creatively to answer questions or solve problems. Also, if one enjoys working independently, this career path provides the perfect work-life balance.
It’s collaborative! Not only do you get to work with other people, but sometimes you can even find yourself working with the same teammates over and over again.
How to start as a Data Analyst?
You might be standing at this moment in front of your computer wondering – How to start a career as a data analyst? How you can succeed in the Data Analytics field without getting too many technical and mathematical details and formalities and still be able to produce actionable reports and insights based on the big data collected by companies, institutions, universities, and other governmental organizations, or even individuals themselves.
1. How to Start with Data Analysis?
First of all, it depends on the level of interest and passion for research and data analysis that helps you know how long do you need to get started with Data Analytics, where to find a good learning resource, which is your goal from the very beginning, depending on other factors such as current position, location, and type of job market, etc. However here are some tips that should be helpful:
- Get familiarized with database software. In case you don’t have any experience in working directly “at the database” it might take some time until you get used to this new tool so being patient is going to be very important. The most popular database software are Microsoft Access, MySQL, and Oracle.
- Start reading about data analytics. Related topics to data analysis that you should read about are statistics, machine learning, predictive modeling, and business intelligence. Subscribe to some blogs or follow some people on Twitter that write about data analytics to keep updated.
- Use online resources for learning. There are many free resources available on the internet. You can start with this those.
- Attend a course related to data analysis. If you have more time and money there are many courses (either online or in-person) that will give you a more comprehensive view of data analytics. However, try to find a course that is focused on practical applications instead of theoretical concepts.
2. How to Start a Career as Data Analyst?
Once you have some basic skills and knowledge in data analysis it is time to start looking for a job. However, before doing that you need to ask yourself some questions:
– What are my goals?
– In which type of companies am I interested in working for?
– How can I improve my skills and knowledge?
Based on the answers to these questions you will get an idea about what you need to do next.
- Use online resources for networking. There are many online communities (forums, groups, etc.) from where you can collect information about the companies and jobs along with useful tips for your own career development.
- Make a LinkedIn profile. In case you don’t have one already it is time to create a LinkedIn account in order to expand your personal network. Start connecting with people who are working in organizations that might be interested in your skills or knowledge in data analysis. You can also search in LinkedIn for Data Analyst positions in different companies that interest you and see if there is someone inside the company that you can connect with.
- Always attend events related to data analytics. It helps you to establish new professional contacts while getting familiarized with this type of event – How to make a good impression? How to behave? How many people usually attend such events? How to prepare your presentation in case you get the opportunity to present yourself and your skills in front of a potential employer?
Some of the important tools for Data Analyst:
- Microsoft Excel
- Power BI
- SAS Business intelligence
Finally! That’s how you can start your data analyst journey. Simply put, there are many reasons why you should consider becoming a data analyst. With the right skill set and training, you can enjoy a lucrative and exciting career in this field.
And as technology advances, the role of data analysts will only become more important. So if you’re looking for a challenging and rewarding career, don’t hesitate to consider becoming a data analyst or a data scientist.